It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metallica New Album Cover
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:31 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Kirk, James, & Rob's Gear for 08' Tour:http://www.guitarworld.com/metallicagear

Guitar World Interview

V WILL ROCK U
James Hetfield returns to his roots, picks up his original Flying V and vows once again to kill ’em all.
By Brad Tolinski

With his black work shirt, black jeans and big, black motorcycle boots, James Hetfield looks a little like a garage mechanic working the graveyard shift at a funeral home. His thoughts, like his outfit, are dark.

“The theme of our new album is that we’re all gonna die sometime,” he says with a cruel little chuckle. “Just like the poles of a magnet, some people are drawn to death and others are repulsed by it, but we all have to deal with it. Lyrically, it started as a bit of a tribute to [Alice in Chains singer] Layne Staley and all those who’ve martyred themselves in the name of rock and roll. But it grew and evolved from there.”

Given the morbid nature of Metallica’s ninth studio album, Death Magnetic, it is ironic that the recording represents something of a musical resurrection. While the 10-song recording does not slavishly imitate the group’s late-Eighties triumphs like Master of Puppets or …And Justice for All as rumored, it is not afraid to hark back to those glory days. Jammed with adventurous song structures, devilishly complex instrumental breaks, whiplash tempos and numerous guitar solos, Death Magnetic is the aggressive, old-school thrash epic longtime Metallica fans have been dying for. It is, in Hetfield’s words, “more alive and has more lift” than anything the band has done in a long time.

The Het is many things, but he’s no pussy. He’s the Fonz of metal—one those rare dudes that radiates an imperturbable, unflappable “cool.” But over the past few years, even Metallica’s singer and master rhythm guitarist has wrestled with his share of uncertainty.

“Yeah,” Hetfield says, “The road gets cloudy. Life gets cloudy. The whole ban on guitar solos on our last album, was kind of a…”

Falling short of calling it a “mistake,” it is clear that James has some misgivings about his band’s previous studio effort, St. Anger. Featuring repetitious, grungy drop-C riffs and a surprising absence of shredding from the band’s virtuoso lead guitarist, Kirk Hammett, the controversial 2003 release was Metallica’s least successful studio outing.

“I wasn’t a big fan of not having any solos on the album,” Hetfield says. “Being a singer, there are very few songs I listen to just for the solos, but the solo is the voice for a little while. And not having that element on St. Anger was somewhat—I don’t want to say ‘boring’—but it made the album pretty one-dimensional. Either the singing was on or the riff was on. Or that snare sound was on,” he says laughing, referring to the distinctive tuning of drummer Lars Ulrich’s kit, which became the signature sound of the album.

At the same time, the frontman defends the validity and sound of the work, which he feels directly reflected his state of mind following his much-reported stint in rehab. “We tore Metallica down to a bare-bones skeleton, and it was not unlike what I went through in my personal life. During that period I was breaking down and rebuilding. St. Anger is exactly what it had to be and needed to be. With our new album, we’re back into our earlier mode, where the songs are more of a ride. It’s a lot more fluid.”

Helping the band get back on track are superstar producer Rick Rubin, (noted for his productions for Johnny Cash, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Slipknot and Slayer, among numerous others) and bassist Robert Trujillo, who took over bass duties for the group in 2003 (longtime bassist Jason Newsted quit Metallica in early 2001 to pursue other projects). The result, Hetfield explains, is a work of new “power, excitement and clarity.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:14 am 

Ahhh yes, my new issue of GW arrived in my mailbox yesterday. *yay* I got the Hetfield cover. 8)

Oh, and can I just say, I am still totally digging DEATH MAGNETIC. *r* "Judas Kiss" is my favorite track, followed closely by "My Apocalypse" and "The Day That Never Comes." :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:43 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
Ahhh yes, my new issue of GW arrived in my mailbox yesterday. *yay* I got the Hetfield cover. 8)

Oh, and can I just say, I am still totally digging DEATH MAGNETIC. *r* "Judas Kiss" is my favorite track, followed closely by "My Apocalypse" and "The Day That Never Comes." :twisted:

1.All Nightmare Long
2.Judas Kiss
3.End of The Line
I cant put it down, luckily I have long enough hair so I can listen to it in school :-$
It suprieses me that NO ONE bought it yet in my school. I was shocked they didnt even know the release date. And the ones that heard it downloaded it illegaly. +) +) +)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:57 am 

I posted this in another thread -- we have so many Met threads here all of a sudden -- but since this is the biggest thread I'll post it here, too:

METALLICA Is First Band To See Five Albums Enter Charts At No. 1
Sep. 17, 2008

According to Billboard.com, METALLICA is the first group to see five of its albums bow at No. 1 on The Billboard 200. Previously, the act was tied with THE BEATLES, U2 and the DAVE MATTHEWS BAND, with four each. The group's latest LP, "Death Magnetic", which sold nearly half a million copies in the United States in just a three-day sales window, is also METALLICA's fifth consecutive studio album to debut at No. 1 and its seventh release to start with more than 300,000 since 1991, when Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data.

The band's first studio album since 2003 moved 490,000 copies in its abbreviated frame, scheduled off-cycle on a Friday to accommodate a worldwide release date.

METALLICA's last CD, "St. Anger", also had an unusual release date after Elektra Records decided to move up its release to Thursday, June 5, 2003 from Tuesday, June 10, 2003 "to ensure that counterfeit copies of the band's first studio album in six years do not proliferate in the marketplace," the label said at the time.

"St. Anger" sold 363,000 copies in its first full week of release to land at No. 2 on The Billboard 200 chart. The album shifted 418,000 copies in the U.S. in its first, shortened week on the streets.

METALLICA's "Re-Load" album sold 435,000 units during its first week in 1997, while 1996's "Load" opened at 680,000. 1991's self-titled "black album" debuted with 598,000 and has since gone on to sell more than 15.2 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

*r* *r* *r* *r* *r*

UPDATE: Metallica is also on the cover of this week's Rolling Stone and the issue includes separate interviews with each band member as well as a feature story. *yay*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:20 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:49 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Alex wrote:
Their set from BBC the other day.

The Day That Never Comes
Cyanide
Enter Sandman
Interview with Lars Ulrich

In case anyone missed it. 8)

Many thanks, Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE DAY THAT NEVER COMES was fricken BADASS!!!!! This was only the 2nd time I've heard the song, and I fricken LOVE it. And I am pleased to say that Rob sounded louder and better on this one.

http://www.razorboneband.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:19 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

okay so i saw this posted in the randy forum under a topic about the remastered BOO and DOAM albums...

anyone notice poor sound quality on death magnetic? i guess i do in some parts/songs..but not nearly enough to ruin my experience. ive had it blasting on my ipod which i run through my denon amp thru polk audio speakers. it sounds great at all volumes.

Right behind you, I see the millions. On you, I see the glory. From you, I get opinions. From you, I get the story. Listening to you, I get the music. Gazing at you, I get the heat. Following you, I climb the mountain. I get excitement at your feet!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:28 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Its been a huge topic over at the Metallica forum. The term they use is "clipping" I havent heard it on my DM cd but many others have. I did hear some on my TDTNC single though.

Heres a link: http://www.metallicabb.com/index.php?sh ... =86559&hl=

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:55 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

yeah ive been reading those posts over at metallica's site. i notice slight distortion in some areas, but overall it sounds really great imo.

Right behind you, I see the millions. On you, I see the glory. From you, I get opinions. From you, I get the story. Listening to you, I get the music. Gazing at you, I get the heat. Following you, I climb the mountain. I get excitement at your feet!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

My opinion on the whole thing is people like to complain. Even if its a slight issue rather than just letting it go people blow them out of proportion. I mean nothing in this world is perfect, its impossible to make a flawless record so if theres a couple of high treble points on your cd put more bass on your cd player. Metallica did a great job a people should quit bitching. *r*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Cole wrote:
My opinion on the whole thing is people like to complain. Even if its a slight issue rather than just letting it go people blow them out of proportion. I mean nothing in this world is perfect, its impossible to make a flawless record so if theres a couple of high treble points on your cd put more bass on your cd player. Metallica did a great job a people should quit bitching. *r*

I totally agree.......they actually made a great CD of songs and now they are nitpicking at other things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i saw it the other day at bestbuy...i was tempted to buy it but ,the hubby was there ...i :oops:im willing to give em a chance after load. i watched a documentery on VH1 the other night about the making of this album and what i heard was pretty bad a$$ *r*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:26 pm 

meandmypinkguitar wrote:
i saw it the other day at bestbuy...i was tempted to buy it but ,the hubby was there ...i :oops:im willing to give em a chance after load. i watched a documentery on VH1 the other night about the making of this album and what i heard was pretty bad a$$ *r*

You owe it to yourself to give it a try. :D If you're unsure, go to www.metallica.com first. You can listen to every song on the CD in its entirety there. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:04 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:46 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Alex wrote:
A remixed version of Broken Beat & Scarred. I have to agree with the naysayers about the mixing - this is much better! For starters you can hear the bass, and the drums don't cut. I'll probably burn this whole remixed CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGiH2yR7Mc&fmt=18

Its not re-mixed. Its actualy un-mixed. Its the Guitar Hero tracks ripped

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:13 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Alex wrote:
Cole wrote:
Its not re-mixed. Its actualy un-mixed. Its the Guitar Hero tracks ripped

No, it is remixed using those tracks.
Oh. The CD sounds fine for me no clipping and I can hear the bass fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:29 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:02 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Alex wrote:
Cole wrote:
Oh. The CD sounds fine for me no clipping and I can hear the bass fine.

I am not sure if you understand what I am referring to. The sound on the CD is compressed, cutting off all the high and lows, eventually distorting it. There is no nuance to the sound. It is done this way on purpose, to make it sound louder on ipods, the radio, cheap systems, etc.

a.k.a "clipping" the only time ive noticed it was thru headphones on a few songs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:50 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:55 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:03 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Cliff Burnstein on the Sound.

Metallica's co-manager Cliff Burnstein has defended the sound quality of the band's new album, 'Death Magnetic', after it was criticised by fans.

The album, which has sold over a million copies worldwide in less than two weeks, has been described as too loud on some Metallica forums.

Fans criticisms of the Rick Rubin produced effort have focussed mainly on the CD version, which they claim doesn't sound as clean as the edition that's available via the video game Guitar Hero.

Speaking to the Wall Street Journal, Burnstein tried to dampen the criticism, claiming that 98% of listeners have voiced a an "overwhelmingly positive” response.

"There's something exciting about the sound of this record that people are responding to,” he added.

But Ted Jensen, who mastered the 'Death Magnetic', has already distanced himself from the album.

In a message to fans, he wrote: “I'm not proud to be associated with this one.”

What do you think of the quality? Post your thoughts by filling out the comment form below.

Become a member of Gigwise and your comments will appear automatically.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i have a great system and i honestly dont hear the clipping on all the songs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 am 

Damage Inc. wrote:
i have a great system and i honestly dont hear the clipping on all the songs.

Same here. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:30 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:31 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

You certanly arnt the only one Alex, MANY people have complained. Its evident that its there by the mixes you showed us and by all the people who worked on the album saying it was brickwalled from the begining. I just dont have a problem with it because I cant hear it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:52 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I'm still loving this album!! Its a riffathon, so much new stuff to learn on guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 pm 

It still occupies slot 6 in my car CD player and has been in that position since I bought the CD when it was released. *r*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:31 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
It still occupies slot 6 in my car CD player and has been in that position since I bought the CD when it was released. *r*

Slot 2 for me though ive been listening to alot of DOAM after reading Off the Rails last week. Randy really got into chords during that album stuff like Little Dolls & YCKRNR are enromously underated songs. *r*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:38 am 

They announced this week that "All Nightmare Long" -- one of my top 3 tunes on the new CD -- is the next song to be released as a single. 8)

I'm hoping they'll add it to their setlist since it's the new single -- I see them this Tuesday night in Tulsa!!!! Can't wait -- it's been four long years since I last saw them live. *r*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next