It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quiet Riot : The Randy Rhoads Years
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:31 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I was wondering for "Laughing Gas" is this a Live Soundboard version or is it infact a Studio Recording?

and I was wondering is there some where were i can download this cd or would that be considered illegal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:45 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Half of Laughing Gas was a live recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOMtp-JNE8.

I think the other half was a Studio recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:18 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Most likely the begining is Studio on QR: TRRY and the solo is live....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:03 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

It's all live, but the catch is the first half of the song and solo is all from The Starwood in 1977, but the 2nd half of the solo is take from a 1979 show that is circulating on video. Kevin discussed it in 93:

Kevin Dubrow:The most interesting experiment I did as far as everything I ever learned was with "Laughing Gas"- the first half of Randy's solo guitar piece is from 1977; the second half is from 1979. I had these tapes recorded on a Teac in 1977 at the Starwood. Each instrument was on a different track. We isolated Randy's guitar, and in '77 his guitar playing was excellent but it wasn't like it was in '79 right before he joined up with Ozzy. I have this videotape from '79 that we are going to be releasing. The latter part of the solo, after the Echoplex part stops, is from '79. That's where he quotes "Dee" and "Goodbye to Romance." I took it right off the one audio track of the 3/4" videotape. We were working on a song that day and I remembered how great that solo was. We brought it over to a studio to listen to it. Watching it, you see Randy was such a great performer. Listening I said, "We've got to figure out a way to use this." Listen and you'll notice the second half of the solo from '79 has all the audience on there, it was distantmiked. We tried every gimmick they had in the studio to bring some presence out of it. We did a cross-fade between the '77 and '79 solo and then back into the '77 solo after the "Crazy Train" section.

John Stix: Is it the whole ‘79 solo?

Kevin Dubrow: It's just part of the '79 solo. The first part of the solo had drums on it. The whole audio was on one track. We cross-fade after the stop chords from "Crazy Train" into the Who-type chords. You can hear the sound change a little bit. We brought some Randy fans into the studio to see if it was weird. Even I questioned if it was weird to do or not. Everybody hear how great the solo was. They said, "It doesn't make a difference, it's great guitar playing. Everybody is going to dig it." That's the one that got Mrs. Rhoads going.

Last edited by ironface166 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:06 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Oh okay cool Thanks Ironface!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:23 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Awesome! I always thought that the First and last part were studio recorded. I wonder if we'll ever hear the 1977 tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:56 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Some good music stores still have the CD in stock. I lost my original and bought a replacement for 9.99 just two years ago. If not, you can usually find it on Amazon or E-Bay.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:03 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

ImNotSoFunny wrote:
Some good music stores still have the CD in stock. I lost my original and bought a replacement for 9.99 just two years ago. If not, you can usually find it on Amazon or E-Bay.

I actually had to go to three different Rasputins and two Amoeba's to find my copy of the QRRRY and when i did i had to look through hundreds of used cd's. But im sure Amazon will have it for a good price.

Post subject: Re: Quiet Riot : The Randy Rhoads Years
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Got my copy at a little place called Orbit Music.