It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sweden Rock Festival June 7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:04 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

After a 24 years wait I’ve finally seen QUIET RIOT live! As I live in Sweden the opportunities have not been directly unlimited of attending a QUIET RIOT concert. But man, was I compensated! 25 000 Swedish, other Scandinavian and European fans had come to attend the show and QUIET RIOT sure delivered. Personally I’d also preferred to hear songs such as Thunderbird, Condition Critical and Breathless (the last which I know they’ve been doing lately), but of course it’s impossible to please everyone. QUIET RIOT did their whole set on the main stage (Led Zeppelin stage), on which bands like Heaven and Hell, Aerosmith, Scorpions, Motörhead and Meatloaf also performed the same night or the following days. The Sweden Rock Festival is now a really big festival, with many stages and so many bands that the shows often collide. There is no doubt though where the majority of the fans choose to go during QUIET RIOT. One thing that stood out is how important Chuck Wright is for the sound. His base playing was just awesome and his backing vocals made the songs similar to the recorded versions. QUIET RIOT’s whole current rhythm section is really amazing! I was particularly impressed by the performance of Old Habits Die Hard, The Wild and the Young, and Red Light Mama, Red Hot. Here is a short review of the whole set (not in exact order):

1. Intro: Mission Impossible Theme
2. Put Up or Shut Up (Nice surprise, which caught the attention of the crowd.)
3. Slick Black Cadillac (Great reaction from the crowd and a great performance from the band. I guess a QUIET RIOT show isn’t a QUIET RIOT show without this classic.)
4. Free (This is one of my favourites off the new album but I didn’t expect it to be this good live!)
5. South of Heaven (Also one of my favourites but I thought Alex’ playing on this was a bit sloppy and the groove on the album didn’t really translate to the live tempo.)
6. Base Case: Chuck and Frankie (The first interesting base solo I’ve seen live.)
7. Sign of the Times (Oh man, did the crowd wait for this! The CC album was probably almost as big as Metal Health in Sweden.)
8. Guitar solo (Alex got better as the show progressed, and he really shined here.)
9. Let’s Get Crazy (A song I haven’t liked for 20 years, but it sure makes perfect sense as a live track.)
10. Run for Cover (Not one of my favourites, but like Let’s Get Crazy it worked fine, and by judging from posts by other QUIET RIOT fans, it was a pleasant and anticipated surprise.)
11. The Wild and the Young (The fans were screaming for this even before the band entered the stage.)
12. Old Habits Die Hard (See above.)
13. Red Light Mama, Red Hot (See above.)
14. Mama Weer All Crazee Now (A great sing a long song.)
15. Cum on Feel the Noize (I wonder if the band realizes how great this was perceived. This is a song that the hard rock/heavy metal fans really like here but it has never been over played in public in Sweden or considered to be an imitation of an original. I guess that the fact that Swedish fans in general seemed to know from the start in 1983 that this was a cover, but generally thought it was a version with a great attitude and drive, has helped maintain the song fresh. In America it seems as if some people didn’t realise it was a cover and afterwards started bashing the band for being a cover band, as a rationalization of their initial ignorance… :) )
16. Bang Your Head: Including Messin’ with the Kid (The highlight of the show. As a Swedish poster wrote on the Sweden Rock message board: “When Quiet Riot plays Metal Health. It will be the best five minutes in the 16 year old history of the festival.”)

Best,

Post subject: Re: Sweden Rock Festival June 7
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:55 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Sounds like a sweet show!