It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A disscussion i had
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Ok, so I had a discussion with a fellow co worker a few days ago about QR, and id bring it here and get some general opinions.

We had heard 'Metal Health' on the radio. At that point I bring up that there were the first heavy metal band to have a number 1 album (or something to that effect). He follows that up by saying that them and I believ he said the Crue, helped lay the foundation for glam metal. This is where you guys come in and whether you agree on it.

Disucss

Post subject: Re: A disscussion i had
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:46 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I'd agree with that. Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue, I'm no expert on the glam metal scene, but I'd always pegged those three bands as the precursor to the big glam scene.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Mr.Coneman wrote:
I'd agree with that. Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue, I'm no expert on the glam metal scene, but I'd always pegged those three bands as the precursor to the big glam scene.

I can see where you are coming from with rhat. I know QR were part of the whole LA club scene for a long time, but I just don't see how QR can be considered a precursor to glam when personally I don't see them as glam. TS and Crue I agree with though

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:13 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't see Quiet Riot as glam either - not at all. But I think they had a large enough effect on the general scene along with Crue and 'Sister and helped spawn glam bands and the scene itself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:25 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Call it glam metal, heavy metal, hair metal, whatever, both these bands were definitely instrumental in laying the foundation for all the bands out of L.A. that got signed after them. And keep in mind, Quiet Riot was no overnight success as far as "Metal Health" went, they toured long and hard (In my best Butthead voice: Huh huh, I thed "long & hard" huh huh!) before that album broke through to the masses. I saw them 6 times on that tour, and to the best of my recollection 5 of those shows were at little clubs, but the gig that broke both QR and Motley Crue through to the world was the Us Festival in 1983. This was a 3 day show that took place in the middle of a freakin' desert in the L.A. area, 100 degree temps, no shade and water was something like 5 bucks a bottle (keep in mind, this was 1983!) and around 250,000 people showed up on "Metal Day". I believe at the time, it was the biggest attendance ever at a concert. Quiet Riot opened the show and blew everyone away. I can see why it catapulted them to stardom. Motley Crue came on next, and truly sucked balls. They were rusty, out of practice and out of shape, but still got a great crowd reaction. After that, L.A. metal in general really took off. Ratt, then Great White, then......well, a lot of bands that just didn't take off because the market was just overloaded with L.A. metal bands.