It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quiet Riot The Randy Rhoads Years Revisited
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:30 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I've always had the cassette tape before a CD was available. I finally bought a CD for $7.00 brand new!

I listened to it twice recently to hear the material that was used with Ozzy. It's pretty amazing hearing the solo in Breaking Up Is A Heartache and recognizing You Looking At Me, Looking At You. The Dee section in Laughing Gas.

If anyone is a fan of Alice Cooper, Look In Any Window sounds like Alice's band wrote it. Randy really captured the Alice sound on that song and it's killer.

I really like the material and I think Kevin did a great job working on it. Kevin worked on it for some time at Morrisound Studios, in Tampa, FL. My old band recorded there just after he had left and I wish I had known that they were working on the QR material. Jim Morris worked with him and he told me a little about the sessions.

With that being said, it is a cool CD to listen to. Has anyone else have any parts that really stand out for them?

Post subject: Re: Quiet Riot The Randy Rhoads Years Revisited
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:51 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

blizzard_of_john wrote:
If anyone is a fan of Alice Cooper, Look In Any Window sounds like Alice's band wrote it. Randy really captured the Alice sound on that song and it's killer.

Definitely Cooper-influenced. Kelly Garni and Kevin Dubrow confirmed it. One of my favorites on the two Japanese albums.

Kevin Dubrow wrote:
That's a song where Randy was really influenced by Alice Cooper. The chord pattern is very similar to "Eighteen" in the verse and also Hendrix's "Hey Joe" riff in the chorus."

blizzard_of_john wrote:
It's pretty amazing hearing the solo in Breaking Up Is A Heartache and recognizing You Looking At Me, Looking At You. The Dee section in Laughing

On the CD there are also parts used in "Crazy Train", "Suicide Solution", "Steal Away The Night", "Little Dolls", "SATO", etc.

Check this thread I did for those spots and other parts Randy took from his Quiet Riot days into Ozzy. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:58 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks for the link Iron! I was searching around for that stuff. Some of it is pretty obvious and quite interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:34 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Who is this Jim Morris, and what stories did he tell you, if I may be so bold as to ask?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:15 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Well, they weren't exactly long stories, just that Kevin was extremely affable. Jim Morris and his brother Tom Morris own Morrisound Studios, in Tampa, FL. I believe Kevin took the QR material for the Randy Rhoads Years CD to Morrisound. I'm not exactly sure what Kevin did in the studio, if it was vocals or just some mixing. It's been a long time, so I can't recall everything that was said and I haven't spoken to Jim since the mid 90's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:16 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Ah, nice! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:39 pm 

Follis wrote:
Who is this Jim Morris, and what stories did he tell you, if I may be so bold as to ask?

Jim Morris is also known for being the man who had recorded and engineered all of Iced Earth's releases. Jim Morris knows Iced Earth mainman Jon Schaffer from back in the day when Schaffer was a homeless metalhead on the streets in Florida. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:57 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jim Morris and his brother worked with many bands, including Savatage. They are great guys. If I get a chance to talk with him again, I will surely ask about the QR sessions with Kevin. Don't know how much he will remember.