It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ozzy Osbourne-Scream
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:14 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Ozzy Osbourne-Scream

The best thing about this album? The advertisement on the Blizzard and Diary 30th anniversary reissues. :lol: Just kidding (maybe. :P ).

Hmmm, upon first listen I'd say this sounds like an Ozz Zombie album. Upon repeated listens I still say the same. There are way too many Rob Zombie-isms all throughout to deny it. "Black Rain" had a bit of the same, this goes a little further. Sure, having Rob Zombie's ex bassist and drummer probably have something to do with it but the producer/songwriter Kevin Churko likely does too. There's also alot of Zakk-sounding stuff in here in the rhythms and solos but even though I heard Zakk had written almost the whole album, he is not listed as a songwriter in any of the credits. Maybe a ghost songwriting credit/payout? :? Hmmm.... Anyway, the first time I heard the album I didn't think much of it but now after multiple spins and accepting it for what it is, I think I like it a bit more. Still "Black Rain" sounding but decent.

1). Let It Die-Kind of different opening number as I'm used to Ozzy opening the albums with faster songs (ie-I Don't Know, Over The Mountain, Bark At The Moon, Miracle Man, Mr. Tinkertrain, etc) and this Zombie-ish opener is a heavy slower paced grinder. I like the song, just a surprise track one. Nothing really spectacular to note, but a cool faster-paced Sabbathy break towards the end.

2). Let Me Hear You Scream-Not fond of the title (and Bruce Dickinson is probably gonna sue over it. :P ) as it is a bit too teeny bopper for me (along the lines of "I Don't Wanna Stop") and while the song has got "single" and "crowd singalong" written all over it, I kind of like it. It has some Zakk-isms all over it, including the short guitar solo.

3). Soul Sucker-Well, I'm glad Ozzy changed the title of the song and album from "Soul Sucka" and I like the song overall, even with the total Zombie feel and sound. Fast little guitar solo in there.

4). Life Won't Wait-Ah, the strumming acoustic intro is ehhhh and then the song reminds me of another single attempt. There is a cool break after the solo but this is not one of the better songs imo.

5). Digging Me Down-One of my favorites of the album. Starts with a Randy-ish/Jake's "Killer Of Giants" type of acoustic intro before blowing up into a heavy main riff that is very Zakk-ish (squeal included). Ozzy's phrasing is kind of like he did on "One Up The B-Side", which is cool. They throw in what sounds like the choir from "Tattoed Dancer" later and unfortunately there is no guitar solo, just some cool riffage.

6). Crucify-Another very Zombie-like mid-tempo tune. Short Zakk-y solo. More cool riffage.

7). Fearless-Yet another Zombie structural leftover. Fairly heavy, though nothing that memorable.

8). Time-Way overused title for this so-so ballad. I hate the Ozzy crooning in this tune. Another obvious single possibility. Gus plays some slide that sounds like it came off of "Turn The Page". Nice little solo with some zip in it.

9). I Want It More-Another one of my favorites. This one would have been a good opener. Starts with some brief piano before a jam and then the main riff kicks in which sounds like old school Metallica meets Pantera a bit. Gus finally gets to let loose a bit on the solo though there is some Zakk sound in there as well. Cool break after the solo that is almost ruined by an un-needed piano part before it kicks back in.

10). Latimers Mercy-Another really heavy but totally Zombie tune. Cool sounds like talk box effect thrown in and a nice wah solo.

11). I Love You All-56 seconds of worthless rubbish that sounds like the orchestra break in the middle of "No More Tears" and The Beatles. Luckily it's over quick.

So overall I think I give it a B- or C+. Gus can play for sure but I hear too much of a mix between Zakk and John 5 for me to catch much of his style. Maybe if he gets to write some of the music from the start it'll sound different if they record together again. The problem (if any) is that it sounds too much like Rob Zombie and I think Ozzy is being forced into that direction by the producer and maybe the rhythm section. Just a guess. I'll still crank it though.

Post subject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne-Scream
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

pretty much exactly what I would have said about it.....only we didn't get the boxset ads in the NZ version :cry:

I like it a bit more than black rain.....ozzy still writes really good vocal melodies it's just a shame the music is TO HEAVY and zakkish IMO.....I hate tuned down guitars (eb is ok but any lower than that and it sounds like crap to me)

hopefully gus is around long enough to write a whole album with oz and without the zakk influence :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:04 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I need to listen to this album some more before I give my review.

Last edited by RR-ElectricAngel on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:42 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 am 

I've listened to it once so far while driving to/from work in the car. At this point, I can't really say much about what's good/bad about the CD because nothing jumped out at me and the songs sort of ran together in my mind ..... which, truth be told, may be saying something in and of itself. :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Alex wrote:
ironface166, Zakk didn't write a note on the album according to Ozzy in that recent GW interview.

I don't know, this comment leads me to think someone else wrote most of it and if its not zakk then who??

Guitar World: What made you pick Gus?

Ozzy: There was something about him that shone for me. He's a great player, and I'm looking forward to recording something from scratch with him, because most of the groundwork was done on the album by the time he arrived. There's a part of Gus that I don't know. I've never worked with him full time on the road. I've done a couple of gigs with him in Los Angeles for a charity thing. When you work and live with someone on the road, you always find out some weird sh*t about them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:05 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Kevin Churko, the producer, wrote most of the guitar parts. Gus contributed the solos and recorded the parts.

Weird because Zakk and Kevin seem to think A LOT alike. With the 0-3-5-6 kinds of riffs. (The riffs sound pretty much the same is what I'm saying)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:37 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Kind of funny when you think about it. Ozzy kicks Zakk out for drinking, and Zakk quits drinking not too long afterward. (For different reasons, of course, but I still find it funny)

I just wish that if Ozzy makes another album, he'll at least attempt to stray away from those kinds of riffs. I mean, I can deal with his guitarist tuning down to D standard. I just hate it when he tunes to Drop C, and then does those extremely basic riffs.

Most of Ozzy's albums with Zakk on them sound almost the same because the riffs Zakk plays ARE the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:17 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:27 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Some songs are different, yes. But they seem to have the same feeling in the for the most part, and I've noticed a lot of Zakk's songs seem to be written with these: 0-3-5-6 notes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:35 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Alex wrote:
ironface166, Zakk didn't write a note on the album according to Ozzy in that recent GW interview.

Yeah, I read that interview too, I was just going by interviews with Zakk from the last few months saying that he wrote almost everything on the album and was replaced by Gus and said he should be paid if they use any of his stuff. Lot of Zakk-sound in there and I doubt highly that Churko wrote it all by himself with Ozzy (ie-no Zakk) and had Gus just duplicate Zakk's sound. I don't care what Ozzy said. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:09 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

If it is Zakk's work, and he sues or something over royalties, I wonder if Ozzy will remove Zakk from all of his records... (IE Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake)

That would be really weird. And a little bit funny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

CrypticNight wrote:
If it is Zakk's work, and he sues or something over royalties, I wonder if Ozzy will remove Zakk from all of his records... (IE Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake)

That would be really weird. And a little bit funny.

I doubt it would ever happen...I mean lets face it any half decent guitarist could write those types of riff *LOL*LOL*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:56 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

It's funny how Ozzy says the music has been sounding too much like BLS and so he gets rid of Zakk and has his producer write riffs that sound just like BLS and gets Gus G to play them like Zakk. *LOL*LOL*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:57 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:08 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I don't think that is entirely Ozzy's fault. I mean, sure, he probably has the final decision on that, but I think it is probably the producer's fault and today's "norm" for recording music.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

*LOL*LOL* True.

I really hope you are wrong about that. Would be nice if someone here could contact Ozzy and beg him not to destroy those records (Would he even listen?) :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
CrypticNight wrote:
I don't think that is entirely Ozzy's fault. I mean, sure, he probably has the final decision on that, but I think it is probably the producer's fault and today's "norm" for recording music.

Doesn't make it any less ear wrecking, flat and lifeless. :lol:

It's a trend that I refuse to give in to. I suspect the re-release of Blizzard and Diary will get the same treatement.

Agreed, we can only wait and see if the loudness war versions sound better or worse than the originals. Sorry, but as much as the music on Blizzard and Diary is amazing, the production is not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:57 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:02 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

You've never heard them? Just go to youtube and listen to them, if you haven't. Sounds terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:18 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Youtube ruins everythings production qualities though, so it's no way to judge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:35 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Actually, I own the 2002 remasters (Bought them when I first heard Crazy Train, didn't know they were bastardized copies) and I've listened to them on youtube, they sound pretty much the same. Crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:15 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Haha, after everything I've heard about those versions it doesn't suprise me that they'd sound like something off youtube.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:48 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

His worst album IMO , I was hoping for the best but its gist bar. The vocals are buried for the most part. Ozzy is starting to heavily favor just speaking alot of lines it seems, probably because of his voice. Before black rain his voice never had that raspy distorted thing going on.

The album really has no catchy riffs except for a couple songs Which the. Just get ruined by some other nonsense riffage and wanging. Gus g is a great player but that catchy mainstream stuff is just not there on this album. I think ozzy is caught up in the must have a flashy guitar player thing and it's going to ruin his music . He needs to play slower and heavier songs which will compliment his lower voice range now. These fast upbeat songs are just meh.::

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:13 am 

Classic Rock magazine in the UK gave it a very favorable review -- 8/10 stars -- and said it is "An album sizzling with energy and renewed vitality" that long-time Ozzy fans will love. :? Hmmmm, not sure about that. It's been a few weeks now and it's still not grabbing me.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:53 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Shockwave wrote:
The vocals are buried for the most part.

have you seen the video for "let me hear you"?????....his vocals are much louder in the mix (probably a little compressor plugin that radio guys use......I have use it on some of my recordings and it just buries the music :roll: )

I'm actually quite liking the album compared to DTE and BR....I think with gus given full freedom to write on the next one there is hope there....his solo's are the difference between this and the last couple of albums for me.........and seeing him play killer of giants with the star guitar is pretty much drool heaven for me (my favourite guitar shape mixed with one of my favourite ozzy songs.....win win *r* *r* )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:26 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Quote:
have you seen the video for "let me hear you"?????....his vocals are much louder in the mix (probably a little compressor plugin that radio guys use......I have use it on some of my recordings and it just buries the music :roll: )

I'm actually quite liking the album compared to DTE and BR....I think with gus given full freedom to write on the next one there is hope there....his solo's are the difference between this and the last couple of albums for me.........and seeing him play killer of giants with the star guitar is pretty much drool heaven for me (my favourite guitar shape mixed with one of my favourite ozzy songs.....win win *r* *r* )

ya thats why i said for the most part, let me here is you is obviously very up front.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:31 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

CrypticNight wrote:
Some songs are different, yes. But they seem to have the same feeling in the for the most part, and I've noticed a lot of Zakk's songs seem to be written with these: 0-3-5-6 notes.

Agree 100%. That is the "Ozzy Sound" that gets put into every album. Different keys may be used but they are the same intervals. If you track down where that series of intervals comes from look no further than Smoke On The Water. Don't hold it against Zakk or anyone else for that matter. Randy used it in Suicide Solution, Jake used it in Rock N' Roll Rebel and Zakk used it in I Don't Wanna Stop and many others. Ozzy loves that series of intervals. It just means your ear is catching everything, which is very cool.
8)