It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Diary Of A Madman Bootlegs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:56 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

What songs did Randy play live from that album with Ozzy? A complete list would be most appreciated, although I know he did Over The Mountain, Flying High Again, and Believer. Man that was such a great album Ozzy doesn't do enough of it live and never has. The only thing Blizzard has over it is that it was recorded much better. Also for all you guitarists out there, playing Randy's stuff with QR is MUCH EASIER then his stuff with Ozzy. No joke. I guess that's just because it's less classical. But it's also great so see another side of Randy. ALSO YOU PEEPS GO SEE JEFF BECK HE'S ON TOUR AND HE IS THE CLOSEST THING ALIVE TO SEEING RANDY THESE DAYS! PLEASE RESPOND SOON THANKS.

ps. You Said It All and Randy Plays The Blues should have been bonus tracks. Yargh. Not that live Blizzard song that's on Tribute.

Post subject: Re: Diary Of A Madman Bootlegs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:47 am 

Those are the only Diary songs ever played live with Randy. The closest Randy came to playing anything else from that album was on the seminar where he played parts of the song DOAM.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:04 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Damn it. Well thanks anyway. That'll save me the trouble of looking for things that aren't there. Why do you think Ozzy didn't put the Over The Mountain and the parts of Diary Of A Madman on The Tribute reissue? I mean honestly, spotlight solos, 2 diary songs, and 3 sabbath covers aside (one of which was only played a third of the way through), that album is an alternate copy of Blizzard. No joke. Having said that Randy's version of Grave is so good that I actually saw Tony Iommi himself trying to copy it in 2005. That was worth living for.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:54 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

You don't even know what I would give to have a copy of Diary of a Madman (the song) live with Randy. Only live version I have ever heard of DOAM was with Joe Holmes. So many GREAT songs on that album.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:06 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I saw Ozzy do Diary at Ozzfest 2000 with Joe Holmes. I have seen Ozz live 14 times and I think seeing them perform that song may have been the best moment out of all of them!! The whole setting was great. The stage was set to look like Hell. It was the same props as used in the movie Little Nicky when Central Park turned into Hell at the end of the movie. Also at the beginning and end of the song every time the drums and bass would hit will the guitar was playing the main riff Fire would shoot straight up from the stage!! It was AWESOME!

On a side note... Ozzy's band at that time: Joe Holmes, Rob Trujillo and Mike Bordon, before they started playing Diary live, They used to play it instrumentally during the band jam solo. they would play parts of Diary, parts of Believer and parts of Symptoms of the Universe during that section. On the tour where the band actually played Diary all the way through.. they replaced it in the band solo section by playing parts of Revelation Mother Earth!!

Pretty cool I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 am 

yeah Josh, I have a video of that, and that band jam thing is really cool, especially the Symptom of the Universe part. Man, Randy would have just killed that song *r*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:39 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Symptom of the Universe......now that's a song I would love to have seen/heard Randy playing....... *r*

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:11 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Yeah I think its likely Randy would've have wanted to do that for what was supposed to be the REAL live double album he was supposed to do with Ozzy. I think the ones that would've been released if Randy had lived would have been Paranoid, Children Of The Grave, Symptom Of The Universe, Hole In The Sky, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Rat Salad. But that's just me. Who else has ideas about this? Please share!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

l would have loved to hear Randy play Sweet Leaf, Fairies wear boots, and Black Sabbath

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:48 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

:? I think I have Joe Holmes-era bootlegs with Diary... have to check! At least I´ve seen a video...

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I think it would have been great to hear Randy play Fairies Wear Boots, but with all due respect to Tony Iommi (whom I love), he would have found the song Black Sabbath to be boring as hell to play, and Zakk Wylde did an almost perfect version of Sweet Leaf (except it was too short...). TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS JOE HOLMES! He sounds amazing!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:48 am 

RRguitarwannaplay wrote:
I think it would have been great to hear Randy play Fairies Wear Boots, but with all due respect to Tony Iommi (whom I love), he would have found the song Black Sabbath to be boring as hell to play, and Zakk Wylde did an almost perfect version of Sweet Leaf (except it was too short...). TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS JOE HOLMES! He sounds amazing!

Joe was a student of Randy's. He did one tour with Ozzy in 2000 but didn't record any albums with him. Digging up a bootleg of Joe playing "Diary" is worthwhile.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 pm 

Here is the full Concert from July 20, 2000 with Joe Holmes where he plays Diary of a Madman (track 3):

http://eternalrandyrhoads.com/audio/00_07_20/

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:44 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
RRguitarwannaplay wrote:

Joe was a student of Randy's. He did one tour with Ozzy in 2000 but didn't record any albums with him. Digging up a bootleg of Joe playing "Diary" is worthwhile.

I just want to clarify this. Joe Holmes was Ozzy's axman for tours in 95-98 and toured in 2000. The time he played in 2000 was the only time he play Diary. You are correct that Joe did not record (or at least recieve credit) for any ozzy albums. Good times. To bad I didn't see Ozzy in 95. They did play the show over the radio. I wished I had recorded it as it was a sound board recording. And we don't have a very strong bootleg collection of Ozzy concerts from Salt Lake City. I will have to contact the local radio (KBER 101) station as I am sure they still have the concert.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:04 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

THANK YOU MR CABLEGUY FOR THOSE SONGS! I WILL LISTEN TO THEM THE INSTANT I GET A CHANCE!