It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: the Randy Sabbath covers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:06 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Is there any more Sabbath covers from the Randy era on bootleg from Randy's days? Specifically is there any covers Randy did of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath floating around? By the way THANK GOD Randy did Children Of The Grave! HE DID IT SO WELL When I saw Tony Iommi he himself tried to copy Randy's version!

Post subject: Re: the Randy Sabbath covers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:17 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Randy never did any Sabbath covers other than Iron Man, Children Of The Grave, and Paranoid.

he was supposed to do some more for an upcoming live album (it would have been something like Speak Of The Devil, but with some of Ozzy's originals on it. half and half if i'm not mistaken) but they never got to do it for obvious reasons.

Randy never liked to play Sabbath's songs (can't remember the exact reason behind it, but i know he hated playing them) and he only agreed to do the album and one more solo album, then he would have left Ozzy's band to go to college.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:00 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Well you can clearly tell he hated playing Iron Man. He played it like he HATED playing it and he didn't even finish it properly at all. I really just would have had him play Sabbath Bloody Sabbath instead. And yeah it makes sense that he would have left the band after the third album. What did he dislike Sabbath so much anyway? He's just as much of a Jeff Beck-influenced play as Tony Iommi anyway. And on top of that, one of his favourite players, EVH, is a huge fan of Iommi anyway. What gives here I wonder? But yeah 2 more albums of him, one live one studio, would have been great. I think if Randy had lived he would have worked for David Lee Roth and Alice Cooper and hopefully also Frank Zappa and then had his own band. Would've ALSO been great if he joined Van Halen, Iron Maiden, and Evanesence..... if wishes were drops of water.... I would what Sabbath songs he'd have played on the live album had he lived...... and THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE DIARY OF A MADMAN ON THE TRIBUTE REISSUE. AND "YOU SAID IT ALL!". ARGH. You know Ozzy is holding out on us to an extent..... I'm REALLY happy that Randy did Children Of The Grave though, it fit his playing style really well and I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzy let him pick it out. I was really hoping that song would be on Tribute. And so it was.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:32 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

He didn't like playing sabbath covers cause at the time that kind of metal was considered like death metal is today ( I like some though..) but ya.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:44 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:32 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

In an interview with Delores Rhoads (mid 1990's) I found this excerpt about what Kelly said on Randy's view of Sabbath's music:

-Kelly Garni remembers how he and Randy looked at Black Sabbath as a joke, making fun of that band when they were young. "When we were growing up, we thought Black Sabbath was a ridiculous thing. It was something we made fun of. Here were these guys out there, and then there's the devil and all this...it was goofy. We parodied it all the time. We would act all heavy, y'know, do pre-headbanging moves and act all dark and everything. We thought it was funny. It was a joke." No one knew that Randy would have to deal with that seriously.-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:22 am 

I could never see randy in evanescense. acording to my thoughts they really suck. and anyway Randy wouldnt fit in that band.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:12 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

JessOberg wrote:
acording to my thoughts they really suck.

That's sentence just sounds so funny. Its like you had to consult your own mind. :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Evanesence does suck, but mainly because they don't have someone skilled and unique like Randy or Steve Vai to do their guitar work like it should be done. Black Sabbath spawned metal as an official genre. The fact that Randy and QR paradied them means they didn't see Sabbath for what they really are AND obviously Randy didn't know he'd go work for Ozzy..... Lol......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:00 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Quiet Riot in the '70's was a glam rock type band - not a 'metal' band. Randy's biggest influences were Mick Ronson of Bowie's band (glam) and Glenn Buxton of Alice Cooper (glam)...

Metal as we know it today didn't really come into being until the late '70's. Sabbath started it in the early '70's, but I'd say real metal bands - other than Sabbath - such as we know today began about 1977 with the record Hellbent for Leather. Prior to that there was 'heavy' music, but it wasn't the hard-driving stuff that came later, it was more plodding, slow, loud music.

Quiet Riot definitely didn't fit that mold.

At least that's my take on it.

Purple's Highway Star was a GREAT heavy song from 1972... would have loved to hear Randy's take on that song.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 pm 

I like Evanesence :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:06 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I'm with Cableguy on this one . Evanescence is pretty deep but melodic at the same time. I wonder what Randy would have thought of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:15 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

the reason he hated playing sabbath was beacuse the whole band had enough songs to fill an entire line up (blizzard and diary) so he didnt see why there was a point to play sabbath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Evanesence rocks *r*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

HOLD ON HOLD ON! RANDY DID A VERSION OF HIGHWAY STAR? IS THERE ANY COPY OF THAT IN THE WORLD?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:47 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

no, he didn't. Paul said he would have loved to have heard his take on the song, not that he actually did the song.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:41 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Damn it. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:05 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

:lol: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath by Randy? Hmm... How would that have sounded...?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

He probably would have either played it like he hated it, aka played it really fast and hard with lots of extra lead fills and maybe an extra solo, or he would have done everything he could to make that song sound like Mountain's Mississippi Queen seeing as there is a huge resemblence between them in terms of the main riffs..... Anybody who knew Randy personally who feels differently about that please enlighten me!