It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gus G. to perform with Ozz
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:17 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

fresh news at http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=news&id=7734 he's from Greece...

Post subject: Re: Gus G. to perform with Ozz
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:55 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

looks like a done deal then *r* hope he does a great job.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

After seeing some videos of his playing, he looks like a great player. 8) Can't wait to see him with Ozzy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:05 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Just a typical shredder.

You can hear someone like this any given day at Guitar Center. .

Disapointed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:37 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I happen top agree with you on this. And this is comming from a guy that has spent a lot of time at GC. I am a little disappointed at his concert performance too. It seemed as if a less agressive Zakk Wylde with the sound of Kirk Hammet was on stage. I hated the way the Randall amps sounded.

However I my hopes are high on the new album. You never know until the ptoduct comes out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:38 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

i closed my eyes during all the songs at one point or another and i was bummed all i heard was zakk. i hope if this pans out for him he pursues his own idenity +)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I agree with both of you... I heard alot of Zakk stylings too in his playing. You`d think he would emulate the soiurce (RR) more than someone else`s version.

Zakk has his critics but you cant take away that he has a style...a presence. He dosent blend in ...he stands out. I`m not a huge Zakk fan but I gotta give him props on this.

It`s weird to hear generic guitar playing with Ozzy...

As for Yuto.. He is pretty good for a 9 year old and fun to watch. *r*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

another disappointed fan

I was hoping for something fresh not another zakk wylde

Ozzy, oh why, are you replacing Zakk if you put someone who play like Zakk??

Its probably ozzy or sharon who asked Gus to mimic Zakk,, i'M sure it is

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:02 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I too was a little disappointed in his performance. The group of "shred" guitar players are all starting to sound the same and bland. As much as I was getting tired of Zakk and his never ending squeelies....He was unique. Ozzy didn't appear all that comfortable with Gus on stage. Also Gus has his own signature model guitar thru ESP which you always see him playing, until Blizzcon. Now he is playing an ESP Les Paul copy. Hmmm....This smells of Sharon. I agree that a fresh start is needed for Ozz. But honestly I was more intrigued with the idea of John 5 playing with him.

Its just an opinion, but I was turned off by Gus's playing of the Randy tunes. I think Randy Chambers did a better job...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:18 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Dude this sucks. :x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:28 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

stlrox wrote:
Its just an opinion, but I was turned off by Gus's playing of the Randy tunes. I think Randy Chambers did a better job...

you know, judging by comments on here, or any RR board for that matter,
it seems that as long as any guitarplayer doesn't replicate
Randys solos note for note (as on record) he/she's not worthy playing them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:34 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

permanentgrin wrote:
I agree with both of you... I heard alot of Zakk stylings too in his playing. You`d think he would emulate the soiurce (RR) more than someone else`s version.

Zakk has his critics but you cant take away that he has a style...a presence. He dosent blend in ...he stands out. I`m not a huge Zakk fan but I gotta give him props on this.

It`s weird to hear generic guitar playing with Ozzy...

As for Yuto.. He is pretty good for a 9 year old and fun to watch. *r*

I personally love Zakk's style.... well at least for the years of 88-93. I think he was awesome. I listen to his stuff mainly because I respect him. He did have a style and it was catchy and alot of people have incorporated his style in to their own. It was really hard for me to watch him as I just thought, "Whoa, this guy is just a Zakk Wylde wanna be". I thought Ozzy wanted something new. I just don't get it.

As for Yuto, that was by far the best part of the concert and that made my day.

To bad you didn't get the gig, now that would have been exciting. Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

MZA wrote:
stlrox wrote:

Sad but true!

Gus & Mr. Crowley. I wonder what is so horribly wrong with this version (except Ozzy's vocals)? It's pretty much the same version we've heard the last 27 years. I guess there are no winners when Ozzy hires new guitarists - it's been the same whining ever since Bernie filled Randy's shoes for a second. Zakk at least has had 20+ years to get accepted.

Ozzy has been blessed with top notch guitarists all of his career - everyone of them from Tony to Gus are truly talented guitarists and musicians. They all have played each others solos a bit differently and I see no reason why they should duplicate every note and stage move from their predecessors. How unique is that?

Gus knows how to play no question about it. Heck, he can even play just like Zakk if told so - a true professional! I wish him best of luck in the future, hopefully he's given the possibility to show everyone his true colors with Ozzy. *r*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:34 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

MZA wrote:
stlrox wrote:

humm no, i really wanted to hear Gus G version of Randy stuff.. Not Zakk Wylde version

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:44 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

kevinkyle46542 wrote:
i closed my eyes during all the songs at one point or another and i was bummed all i heard was zakk. i hope if this pans out for him he pursues his own idenity +)

fortress wrote:
I was hoping for something fresh not another zakk wylde

Ozzy, oh why, are you replacing Zakk if you put someone who play like Zakk??

I feel exactly the same way about what I heard and saw with Gus. Yeah, I know it's only his first (and possibly only)gig with Ozzy, but still, I was left with an empty feeling. Also it probably had to be extra hard for him what with it being his debut and likely an audition gig for him to be overshadowed by a 9 year old. I don't know how permanent this thing could be with Gus as doesn't he live in Greece and I'd think Ozzy would go with someone a bit easier to get ahold of for writing/rehearsing.

Also they need to turn the keyboards way down as they made me sick how high up in the mix they were. :roll: Reminded me of some of the DOAM tour overly-loud keyboards. +)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:55 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

ironface166 wrote:
Also it probably had to be extra hard for him what with it being his debut and likely an audition gig for him to be overshadowed by a 9 year old.

Kid is great but let's not get carried away. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

D wrote:
ironface166 wrote:
Also it probably had to be extra hard for him what with it being his debut and likely an audition gig for him to be overshadowed by a 9 year old.

Kid is great but let's not get carried away. :lol:

I'm not saying the kid is better than Gus just the fact that the novelty of the situation put more focus on him than Gus for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

D wrote:
MZA wrote:
stlrox wrote:

Sad but true!

Gus & Mr. Crowley. I wonder what is so horribly wrong with this version (except Ozzy's vocals)? It's pretty much the same version we've heard the last 27 years. I guess there are no winners when Ozzy hires new guitarists - it's been the same whining ever since Bernie filled Randy's shoes for a second. Zakk at least has had 20+ years to get accepted.

Ozzy has been blessed with top notch guitarists all of his career - everyone of them from Tony to Gus are truly talented guitarists and musicians. They all have played each others solos a bit differently and I see no reason why they should duplicate every note and stage move from their predecessors. How unique is that?

Gus knows how to play no question about it. Heck, he can even play just like Zakk if told so - a true professional! I wish him best of luck in the future, hopefully he's given the possibility to show everyone his true colors with Ozzy. *r*

Your last paragraph is quite revealing and is what everybody has a fuss about. He did play just like Zakk, and if he did, why did Ozzy get ride of Zakk just to be replaces by a Zakky copy cat. I think Gus has his own style we just want to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:37 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I don't expect any new guitarist to take Randy's place or play "note for note". The point I was trying to make was that he showed nothing new. I did alot of research, watched and listened to alot of what Gus G is as a player before seeing the performances with Ozzy. He has mad skills. The problem I have, IMO, is he is just another shredder. His solo's offered no substance. That's what made Randy so unique. Compare a Gus G solo to any of the dozen of shredders out there and its all the same. Maybe he will be a good fit. I just wasn't impressed by his performance as a side man for Ozzy. Gillis put his own spin on the tunes, Jake E and Zakk did too. When you put on a recording of any of the three you can tell which one is Randy, Jake E, or Zakk. Add Gus G to the group and I bet a bunch can't tell the difference between him and Zakk.

Again, it is only an opinion. *r*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:18 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

wow ... all shredders sounds the same ...

never knew he was a shredder to begin with ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:15 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

dannyahansen wrote:
D wrote:
Your last paragraph is quite revealing and is what everybody has a fuss about. He did play just like Zakk, and if he did, why did Ozzy get ride of Zakk just to be replaces by a Zakky copy cat. I think Gus has his own style we just want to see it.

Yes, I know what people are fussing about and who told Gus to be younger and lighter Zakk. Why? Who knows. :x

D in other thread wrote:
Gus played very well but he played Zakk's versions of songs. Since when has he ever used active pups? He should get rid of those Zakk sounding active pups and fast. Why not use his signature ESP with Floyd Rose? He usually doesn't use pich harmonics and they were all over the place - did Ozzy (well, Sauron) make him to play like Zakk?????

We'll see what happens, hopefully he is allowed to express himself more, otherwise it might as well be Zakk on stage spitting all over the place.

Sorry to sound a bit negative, Gus did a very good and solid job, he just didn't sound like himself at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:53 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Just think about it, why Joe Holmes and Gus G. sounded pretty much like Zakk when they played with Ozzy?... I mean, it's very clear for me that Ozzy (Sharon) requested this way as mandatory requirement.
So, at the end of the day why they changed Zakk anyway?... I believe that John 5, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai and other talented guitarists wouldn't accept that condition in order to get the gig.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:24 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

whichever he is a pro player getting paid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Just another Joe Holmes...........

-Randy Rhoads

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Honestly now that I think about it the only reason I can think of that Gus took this job is the simple fact of raising his profile...and I mean fair play to him for that, but it explains why hes just playing what Zakk did note for note almost. No effort in an attempt to increase is status.

I mean the Ozzy/Sabbath legacy as made more guitar heroes than any other gig. Tony, Randy, Jake, Zakk....Gus?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:00 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

To be honest, Zakk's style had gotten old, his sound has regressed since No More Tears and he's gotten sloppier live, but like others have said, atleast he had his own style. I liked some of Gus's pre-Ozzy work, but the new single is bad and I didn't like his renditions much of the classic stuff. To be honest, Des plays the Randy Rhoads stuff much better than any of the guitarists Ozzy has had. To bad, he never called Des back in 2005.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

i watched an interview with gus adn he said he tries to play the songs as close to the originals as possible. i think hes a decent guy but i prefer zakk. how do you get rid of zakk wylde? i mean, hes the man for the job.

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"