It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Ozzy Looking For New Guitarist Again
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:03 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Straight from the man himself-again. (So if Des or anybody else auditions, no "He's trying to steal Zakk's job!" crap like last time. :lol: )

OZZY Seeks New Guitarist: "I Felt Like My Stuff Was Beginning To Sound Like BLACK LABEL SOCIETY."

Ozzy Osbourne has revealed to Classic Rock magazine that he is currently searching for a new guitarist for his solo band.

Classic Rock caught up with Osbourne last week at the Slash & Friends gig in Norway, where the whispers backstage had guitarist John 5 (ROB ZOMBIE, ex-MARILYN MANSON) lined up as a possible replacement for Zakk Wylde…

"Well, I'm getting a new guitar player as we speak," Ozzy told Classic Rock, "and everyone has been saying to me for a long time, 'Get Johnny 5!' And I tried him at one time and I didn't really give him a chance. We'll see, I don't know. I haven't fallen out with Zakk, but Zakk's got his own band, and I felt like my stuff was beginning to sound like BLACK LABEL SOCIETY. I just felt like I wanted a change, y'know?

"I've got a guy from Greece coming in — not the musical, the country of Greece — but I'm not going to say too much about it, 'cos I don't know myself at this point. I've got a new album, I'm working on it as we speak. I've got a studio at my house and I've got a guy called Kevin Churko, the guy that did the last album [Churko also worked on Ozzy's 'Under Cover' album, produced CHEAP TRICK's highly rated 2006 album 'Rockford', and has credits on releases by BRITNEY SPEARS, CELINE DION and SHANIA TWAIN] — he's great to work with.

"And it's great to have your own studio. On one hand it's great and on the other it's not, 'cos when you're at the studio you can go, 'Sorry darling, I can't get home for dinner, I'm stuck at the studio…' But she can f**king come down stairs now! But I'm just enjoying my life now…"

Classic Rock: So you're taking it easy recording this album?

Ozzy: "Oh yeah. Zakk came down and did a bunch of stuff and I don't know if I want to use it but I've got it there if I do. And this Kevin Churko is a bit of an all-rounder so I'm getting back to basics in some respects. One thing about a guy who can't do all the finger-tapping stuff is that he plays better on the riffs cos it's not all [hums riff for 'Iron Man' followed by over-the-top widdling]."

Post subject: Re: Ozzy Looking For New Guitarist Again
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:00 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!
WILL HE STILL TAKE ZAKK OUT ON TOUR???

des should try out again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:45 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ironface166 wrote:
"I've got a guy from Greece coming in

could that be ... Gus G ? :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:54 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

demon wrote:
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!
WILL HE STILL TAKE ZAKK OUT ON TOUR???

Sounds like a 'NO". But then again, last time this happened, he couldn't find what he wanted completely so he went with Zakk again.

MZA wrote:
ironface166 wrote:

That's my guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:57 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ironface166 wrote:
MZA wrote:
ironface166 wrote:

That's my guess.

would be utterly cool. Gus is a monster player :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i wish joe holms would record with him,he was most talented guitarist he
played with (other than randy) and never gave him a chance to show what he could do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

That's awesome how Des almost got it. What happened?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

mikesline wrote:
i wish joe holms would record with him,he was most talented guitarist he
played with (other than randy) and never gave him a chance to show what he could do.

Apparently during the 6 years together touring with Ozzy, Joe couldn't come up with enough original material when it came down to writing and recording. He does have a few writing credits on "Down To Earth" but it was nothing spectacular. On the plus side he did play the Randy, Jake and Zakk stuff flawlessly in concert. *r*

Alex wrote:
Hope he'll give John5 a go. Huge Randy fan, friend with Zakk for over 20 years, etc.

I am a big John 5 fan and admire his guitar vision and skills. I think he is great with Rob Zombie and loved his work with David Lee Roth. Honestly, I don't think he is quite up to playing Randy's solos even though I know he's a huge Randy fan. He played at the first Randy benefit concert in L.A. way back in 1991 and took a shot at "Mr. Crowley". I know that was 18 years ago and he's improved tremendously, but it's a totally different style of guitar playing to what he does and what with John being a telecaster man I don't think he'd have the right sound to do the Randy, Jake, Zakk and Tony stuff. I wouldn't be oppossed to hearing what he and Ozzy could come up with on their own but am not optomistic on the cover songs he'd have to play that are mandatory playing at an Ozzy show. That's just my thoughts on it. He still rocks though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

i wouldnt believe this just yet.
it appears zakk has no idea.

"I'm doing Blizzcon with him in August and supposed to finish up the cd in September....this is news to me.
I haven't heard anything about this. Until I talk to the Boss I don't know. I love Ozzy."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:27 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

One of my first posts on this forum was about how I can't stand the ZW drunken caveman biker act and that Zakk should press on with BLS and I hoped that Ozzy would find a new talented guitarist that would inspire Ozzy to make a fresh but classic and epic last few albums.

Some people slammed me for saying it, but my post was on the money.

I'd like to see him find a player who has the chops, can play all the earlier Ozzy work but more importantly has the ability to write memorable songs, riffs and solos.

This is a chance for Ozzy to give us his swansong, I hope he gets it right.
I hope he can produce something special again.

I'd like to see an Ozzy do an album done in collabaration with a few top musicians.
Still being Ozzy's album and project, but drawing on the talents of rock and metal's top musos.
Then get Jimmy Page involved in the producer role, haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:40 am 

demon wrote:

Well, it'a being reported to a major UK music magazine and it's quoting Ozzy directly, so ... :wink:

Now, it's still possible that Oz won't find what he wants and he'll go back to his old comfortable guitarist, but I certainly believe Ozzy said it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:47 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
demon wrote:

Well, it'a being reported to a major UK music magazine and it's quoting Ozzy directly, so ... :wink:

Now, it's still possible that Oz won't find what he wants and he'll go back to his old comfortable guitarist, but I certainly believe Ozzy said it.

magazines have been known the "strech the truth". if zakk doesent know about it then im thinking the source is alittel "sketch" but thats just me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:33 pm 

demon wrote:
rickhawk80 wrote:
demon wrote:

magazines have been known the "strech the truth". if zakk doesent know about it then im thinking the source is alittel "sketch" but thats just me.

Have you ever read that magazine? It's pretty reputable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:06 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:

no i havent. im just saying that zakk doesent know that ozzys looking for a replacment for him so it sounds a little off if you ask me. but we will see.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:06 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

i would sooo like to audition! :D

Either me or Paul Gilbert :D Bring the Randy back to the Ozz ;D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:10 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ReXiX wrote:
i would sooo like to audition! :D

go for it :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:31 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Paul Gilbert with Ozzy would be amazing, but I don't see it happening. You should go for it! I'm sure you'd do good!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

it would be nice to see Paul Gilbert getting that Job... he's so talented guitarrist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:11 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Gilbert's style doesn't fit Ozzy's style of music though...he's too technical,not enough feeling or pure energy...he puts out cool "Gilbert" music...I just don't see him fitting in with Ozzy though...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:19 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

You Know How I think should be with Ozzy. Would be like Dave Mustaine. That would be sick or... Joe Satriani.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:20 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

demon wrote:
rickhawk80 wrote:

no i havent. im just saying that zakk doesent know that ozzys looking for a replacment for him so it sounds a little off if you ask me. but we will see.

Classic Rock is highly reputable and I don't see how there could be any mis-interpratation of Ozzy's statements. You know what kind of lawsuit could get thrown at them by Sharon for fabricating sh*t and printing sh*t as direct quotes from Ozzy? :lol:

Far as I know, Zakk is not under any kind of contract with Ozzy now nor has been for awhile. He just records and tours with Ozzy when Ozzy asks him to and gets paid for those services and is free to do his own BLS or solo stuff whenever he wants. Now If Ozzy has been listening to whatever Zakk has written and recorded (obviously) for a new Ozzy disc and Ozzy is thinking that he may not wanna go in that direction or like the sounds for his music and decides he may want to try someone else and get some fresh blood in the band, he is entitled to do that. A conversation with Zakk in advance before telling a magazine would have been a nice courtesy however. :lol:

OffTheScales wrote:
You Know How I think should be with Ozzy. Would be like Dave Mustaine. That would be sick or... Joe Satriani.

Satriani wouldn't fit the style and Mustaine couldn't play the Randy/Jake/Zakk solos. That's why he always hires great lead guitar players to play with him in Megadeth. Plus Dave has too much ego to play for Ozzy. He'd get booted after one rehersal. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:24 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

ironface166 wrote:
demon wrote:
rickhawk80 wrote:

Classic Rock is highly reputable and I don't see how there could be any mis-interpratation of Ozzy's statements. You know what kind of lawsuit could get thrown at them by Sharon for fabricating sh*t and printing sh*t as direct quotes from Ozzy? :lol:

Far as I know, Zakk is not under any kind of contract with Ozzy now nor has been for awhile. He just records and tours with Ozzy when Ozzy asks him to and gets paid for those services and is free to do his own BLS or solo stuff whenever he wants. Now If Ozzy has been listening to whatever Zakk has written and recorded (obviously) for a new Ozzy disc and Ozzy is thinking that he may not wanna go in that direction or like the sounds for his music and decides he may want to try someone else and get some fresh blood in the band, he is entitled to do that. A conversation with Zakk in advance before telling a magazine would have been a nice courtesy however. :lol:

OffTheScales wrote:

Satriani wouldn't fit the style and Mustaine couldn't play the Randy/Jake/Zakk solos. That's why he always hires great lead guitar players to play with him in Megadeth. Plus Dave has too much ego to play for Ozzy. He'd get booted after one rehersal. :P

ok fair enough. we will see. im just saying it sounds a little off if you ask me. its kind of a douche move to tell the public you are looking for a replacement before telling the man gettin replaced himself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:24 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Ugh I meant Chris Broderick my bad. I always get them mixed. Who else could play with Ozzy. Carlos from QR?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:20 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

OffTheScales wrote:
Ugh I meant Chris Broderick my bad. I always get them mixed. Who else could play with Ozzy. Carlos from QR?

Meh dont whant Chris in that band :( i dont think that he would fit either :O

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:42 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

My wish for the new guitar player would be Doug Aldrich or Paul Gilbert.
JeepmanDeux wrote:
Gilbert's style doesn't fit Ozzy's style of music though...he's too technical,not enough feeling or pure energy...he puts out cool "Gilbert" music...I just don't see him fitting in with Ozzy though...
I Think Paul would make a good Ozzy album because he seems to adapt to whatever band he goes in rather than just having one style. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:52 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Cole wrote:
JeepmanDeux wrote:
I Think Paul would make a good Ozzy album because he seems to adapt to whatever band he goes in rather than just having one style. :P

fair enough,Cole....but what bands,other than his own,did he join and had to adapt to? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hmmm He needs a change What direction is he planning on going?
back to the classic Ozzy sound Randy style would be great but I think he needs to add a little twist to it something that has a modern day style combined with the classic Randy style.Like if Randy were here today what would he do to knock your socks off kind of stuff.

Scales you mentioned Carlos Carvazo from QR .I think he would be a pretty good choice for Ozzy.But then again Des would be cool too. Oh Oh and lets not forget our other good friend Mr Randy Chambers.Why not both Des and R Chambers Ozzy could use two guitarist that would kick ass. My votes in *r*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:11 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

JeepmanDeux wrote:
Cole wrote:
JeepmanDeux wrote:

fair enough,Cole....but what bands,other than his own,did he join and had to adapt to? :)

Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLIRLi9A-4w
Classical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ZnOZ5QNR4
Acoustic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlov52lZSyQ
Jazz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFa2iuKmFw
Flaminco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KaKhGAa3I
Classic Rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKajVuByH4U
Progressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5oVrlAb4sE
Neo-Classical/Rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dNxshHlp4w

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next