It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: OZZY's blue dragon & skull tattoo's????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:34 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Anyone know the history or story behing the two tattoo's that Robert Benedetti did on Ozzy's chest (Blue Dragon/Skull) and approximate dates that they were done, why Ozzy chose those design's, etc.....and any other info you might have?

iron?????

Post subject: Re: OZZY's blue dragon & skull tattoo's????
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:24 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

I can only approximate the dates he got them. The grim reaper/red robe one he got done in December 1981 right beforer the US DOAM tour while they were rehearsing in L.A. Since Robert was an L.A. Sunset Strip artist and that's the only time Ozzy was in L.A. right before that tattoo was seen on him, I'd guess that was the "when" part.

The blue dragon (?) on the other side of his chest was done in two different sessions between late March and July 1982 as you can see many shots from the Brad-era where Ozzy only has the outline at first and then later on in the tour it is colored in. I'll guess it was based around his times in L.A. again, starting with during the two weeks after Randy's death for the outline and then later on in June when he played in CA again for the color. No idea what his meanings for them were other than he thought they'd look cool and fit in with his image. :?

Post subject: Re: OZZY's blue dragon & skull tattoo's????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:42 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Great stuff as usual Iron,

FWIW, somewhere among the gobs of Mags and Articles I have, I do have a shot of Ozzy actually getting the outline done. It's taken in a hotel room and it appears to be at a beach somewhere as you can clearly see the beach shore outside the sliding glass window.

For years I thought that the shot was taken during the other beach shots we all have seen with Ozzy and Randy, but as you already know, it was not... :-)